MTSC Little Falcons (Formerly Little Kickers) Program - Run by a professional trainer from the NY Red Bulls
The Little Falcons (formerly Little Kickers) program is a fun introduction for 3, 4, and 5 year olds to the fun and exciting game of soccer. This program is all activity and fun based games to get the kids enthusiastic. Each child will have a great time in a fun learning environment. It is a 6 – 8 week long program pending weather. We try to get all 8 weeks in. The cost is around $90 per player. Each player will receive a special Little Falcons T-Shirt.
The objectives of the program is very simple, as a soccer club who represents the local community we would like to provide young children with the opportunity to:
· Improve upon their physical literacy (which will benefit them in whatever sport they decide to play).
· Give them key social skills in terms of sharing, problem solving and making new friends.
· Provide a fun introduction to the game of soccer which will hopefully see them grow a passion for the game and progress through the MTSC developmental ladder and into travel soccer.
As this is the Spring version of the program at times this season we will be at the mercy of the weather. Fingers crossed the weather is good to us but in case of adverse weather please be mindful to check your emails as any practice session that is cancelled will be notified by email. If you do not receive an email the practice session will be on.
Each player should wear sports appropriate attire as well as bring water or something to drink.
- Week 1 - Physical Awareness: Players learning how to move in soccer specific ways.
- Week 2 - Spatial Awareness: Players learning how to become aware of space. Encouraging them to be alert to what’s around them.
- Week 3 - Individual Possession: Introduce players to the correct techniques of moving the soccer ball.
- Week 4 - Individual Possession: A more challenging session which recaps on the points in week 3.
- Week 5 - Individual Possession (Turning the ball): Introduce players how to turn the ball and which parts of the feet to use.
- Week 6 - Individual Possession (Turning the ball): A more challenging session recapping on points covered in week 5.
- Weeks 7-8, weather providing will continue with Individual Possession theme
- Structure of the hour would be fun with the kids playing games such as Sponge Bob, Sharks and Minnows and Foxes and Farmers but with a mass emphasis on development as well (without the players knowing it!!!)
Some of the 5 year olds who have participated in previous sessions maybe recommended to move up into the PTA - Junior Progam.
A little more information about the program:
Monroe Township Little Falcons (fromerly Little Kickers) program is for children ages 3 to 5 years and is the first part of the soccer clubs development matrix. Research has shown that involvement in sport at a young age can help in developing basic motor and cognitive skills. The program uses fun based soccer activities that focus on developing a range of fundamental skills. Specific focus is given to:
- Agility, balance and coordination
- Physical awareness
- Movement patterns and sequences
- Spatial awareness
- Social skills
- Listening skills
While the theme of the session is soccer, the main focus of the program is to help develop a strong physical foundation and advanced motor skills.
Some common questions we get:
1. Is it 6 or 8 weeks long? The program is for 6 to 8 weeks long pending on weather. Ideally we want you to get in 8 weeks but realize that weather cause issues and doesn’t always allow us to get in all the sessions.
2. Are there make ups for rain dates? Not really because we the program is designed to get 6 to 8 sessions in. If one is cancelled, we just go an extra week up until 6/2.
3. When does it end? Ideally if we start on time it would end in 8 weeks from the first session date. The program will end by 6/2 regardless and hopefully we’ll get all 8 in, if not we’ll get at least 6 sessions.
4. How are we notified if the session is cancelled? We will try to post something on the website as well as send an email out. Please note that we can’t stop emails from going into your SPAM filter.
5. Do we need specific clothing? The program will provide a t-shirt for all players to wear during the session. They do not need cleats at this age, but some parents feel that the players are more comfortable in them.
6. Where are the sessions held? We try to hold them all at the Small Sided fields at the soccer complex located on Prospect Plains Road. From time to time we may have to move to Thompson Park.