MTSC Tournament Rules & Regulations
REGISTRATION: Teams must check in at the mandatory registration. Mandatory registration is Friday evening preceding the first day of play. Teams will be notified to the time and location of the mandatory registration. Failure to check in will result in automatic disqualification without a refund of the fee from the tournament. Note:teams traveling excessive distances may request to register on Saturday morning no later than 1 hour before their first game, after receiving permission by the Tournament Director (email@example.com).
Credentials at Registration (required for all teams):
- Photo copy of your team roster (MUST HAND IN)
- Photo copy of game roster (MUST HAND IN). The game roster which typically gets affixed to game cards shows the player name, uniform number and player pass number.
- Player passes to show at check-in (including guest players)
- Stamped medical release forms to show at check-in (including guest players)
- Out of state team are required to show an approved application to travel.
RULES OF COMPETITION
Rule 1: AGE AND ELIGIBILITY
The competition is open to accepted teams composed of eighteen (18) or fewer players, meeting the age limit of the specified division. Players must have been born during, or subsequent to the divisional year. Each team must be registered with a National Soccer Association and with a league affiliated with the USYS or national equivalent and present a valid state roster. Player registration cards, duly authorized by state or national associations will be required as proof of age. Out of state teams must have a copy of the permission to travel form, approved and signed by a USYS representative. Teams shall consist of eighteen or less players in the U13 through U19 division, sixteen players in the U11-U12, and fourteen players in the U10 and under divisions, meeting the age limit of the listed divisions.
Proof of affiliation:
- Required for all rostered players in the form of a current NJYS or US Club approved Member Player Pass, valid for the current season (including Guest Players).
- Stamped medical releases for each player (including Guest Players).
- Photo copy of team roster.
- Out of state teams playing with USYS passes must show an approved application to travel (not required for teams playing under US Club passes)
- Guest Players: Up to three (3) guest players will be allowed per registered team.
- Secondary Passes: Will be allowed.
- Roster Changes: No roster changes will be allowed after the team has been registered.
- Double Registering: No double carding of players is allowed, e.g. a U11 player registered for one team cannot play for another U11 or U12 team.
Rule 2: LAWS OF THE GAME
All games shall be played in accordance with the FIFA Laws except as specifically modified by these rules.
Rule 3: TOURNAMENT FORMAT
- Teams will be flighted according to competition level in brackets of three - four teams, depending on number of registered teams. There will be multiple flights in all divisions as space allows.
- If a game starts late, the referee may shorten the halftime and/or game to finish on time, however, a break is scheduled in the middle of most fields to allow for the schedule to catch up.
- If a team is not ready to play 10 minutes after the scheduled start time, it will forfeit the game.
- Failure to register at least 1 hour prior to the first scheduled game time on the day of competition may also result in forfeiture of all of your games.
- Scores and standings will not be kept for U10 and younger teams. Therefore, no tie breakers, shootouts or playoffs shall apply.
- In accordance with New Jersey Youth Soccer rules, U10 and younger teams may not play up.
- All games will utilize a three person referee crew.
U10 and younger games
- All teams will play a minimum of 2 games
- All 7v7 games will play 25 minute halves, with a 5 minute break between halves. Halftime may be shortened if the schedule is running behind.
U11 and older games
- All teams will play a minimum of 2 games
- U11 & U12 will play 9v9
- U13 through U19 will play 11v11
- All games play 25 minute halves, with a 5 minute break between halves. Halftime may be shortened if the schedule is running behind.
- Brackets of 3 teams will play in a round robin format.
- Brackets with 4 teams:
- For U11 through U19, the winners of the first game in each bracket will play each other for first and second place in their second game. Losers in the first game play their second game for third and fourth place.
- For U11 and older teams, all games ending in ties will go to a shootout immediately following the game. For all games played at Thompson Park, teams are to go to the Penalty Pit area to conduct the shootout. For games played at Prospect Plains, the shootout will take place immediately on the field where the game was just completed.
- Award recipients will be determined by Scoring and Standings. In the event of a tie in the standings, Modified Tie Breaking Rules will determine the winner.
Teams will receive 3 points for a win. For all U11 and older teams, there will be no ties as all tied games go to a shootout. Teams with the most points in each bracket will win 1st place and second highest points will win 2nd place.
Modified Tie Breaking Rules
Ties will be broken for 1st and 2nd place as follows:
- Head to head competition (if more than 2 teams are tied than disregard)
- Bonus Points
- 1 Point Shutout
- 1 Point Per Goal Max 3 goals
- Goal Differential (max of 3)
- Least goals allowed.
- If by chance there is still a tie, multiple awards will be issued.
Rule 4. CONDUCT
- Players, coaches and spectators are expected to conduct themselves within the spirit of the laws as well as the letter of the law. Display of offensive language, temper, or dissent is cause for ejection from the game and field of play. Coaches shall be held responsible for the conduct of all persons on their team and those supporting the team.
- Each team shall share the same side of the field while spectators will occupy the opposite side.
- The referee only may suspend play or abandon the game. If the referee abandons a game due to misconduct by players, coaches, or spectators on one team, a victory will be awarded to the opposing team with the score being 1-0.
- Players, coaches and team officials ejected from a game by the referee shall be automatically suspended for the following game.
- Alcoholic beverages and smoking are not permitted at any of the game locations, including the parking areas.
- The Tournament Committee reserves the right to suspend any player, coach, or team, from the Tournament for unruly conduct.
Rule 5. Mercy Rule
The maximum permitted goal differential in any game is 6 goals. In the interests of good sportsmanship, coaches are responsible to limit one-sided scores by any means necessary, including sitting starters, playing with fewer players than permitted, only permitting shots off volleys or headers, etc. Teams come for a good time and competition, and whenever a game results in mismatched teams, coaches should remember how it feels to be on the receiving end of a blowout and lead accordingly.
Rule 6. PROTESTS
There will be no protests allowed during the tournament. Protesting due to referee performance or otherwise is strictly prohibited.
Rule 7. SUBSTITUTIONS
1. Substitutions, without limit, may be made with the referees’ permission:
- after a goal has been made
- at the beginning of the second half of play
- at a goal kick by either team
- at a throw-in by the team in possession
2. Limited substitutions may be made with the referees’ permission:
- in case of stoppage of play for an injury on a one for one basis for the injured player(s)
- to replace a cautioned player
Rule 8. INCLEMENT WEATHER
The tournament will be played through almost any weather. In the unlikely event that any games have to be rescheduled, for whatever reason, the rescheduling will be made at the discretion of the Tournament Committee.
Rule 9. FAILURE TO SHOW AND FORFEIT
It is sincerely hoped that NO games will be forfeited during this tournament, as the expressed purpose of this tournament is to encourage good sportsmanship and participation with as much soccer as possible. In the event that a team must forfeit, the following rules shall apply:
- A team shall be allowed a 10 minute grace period after the scheduled kick-off time before the game is awarded to their opponent. A minimum of seven (7) players, (Five (5) small sided) constitutes a team.
- In no case will a team that has forfeited a game qualify for awards.
- A game forfeited will declare a 1-0 score.
Rule 10. GAME REPORTS
The Field Marshall will be responsible for reporting the score of the game. Report sheets are to be signed by one official from each team and the referee after the game is completed.
Rule 11. AWARDS
- U11 and older teams will receive awards for 1st place and 2nd place.
- U10 and younger teams will receive participation medals.
Rule 12. UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT
- All team players must wear acceptable and nominally identical uniforms consisting of shirt/jersey/t-shirt, shorts, socks, shin guards, and suitable footwear. All uniforms shall be appropriately numbered and such number shall coincide with game roster.
- Goalkeepers must wear distinctly different uniform from the other players on both teams.
- In the event of a uniform color clash, the designated home team (listed first on the schedule) will change colors.
- Medical or Other Assistive Devices: Wrapped hard casts of any kind, metal splints, or other devices shall be permitted only if they are inspected by, approved, and allowed by the referee of each match. The referee shall have full discretion in this matter, and the Tournament Committee cannot overrule his/her decision.
- All orthopedic wraps must be secured and metal fasteners covered with tape. The referee of each match shall have full discretion in this matter, and the Tournament Committee cannot overrule his/her decision.
- The Tournament Committee will not be responsible for any expenses incurred by any team if the tournament is canceled in whole or in part for any reason. Furthermore, the Tournament Committee’s interpretation of the forgoing rules and regulations shall be final, and the Tournament Committee reserves the right to decide on all matters pertaining to the Tournament.
All checks/money orders in payment of the entry fees MUST be issued to the club hosting the Tournament.
If the tournament utilizes golf carts, only those who have a valid New Jersey Driver’s License will be permitted to operate a golf cart.
REFUNDS: Tournament Cancellation Prior to Start: If the tournament is canceled and will not be rescheduled, the tournament will refund 80% of a team’s entry fees. The reasons for cancellation might include weather, field usage, or sponsoring organization management decision.
Voluntary Withdrawal of Team from the Tournament: If a team withdraws from the tournament after the close of registration, the tournament reserves the right to determine what, if any, refund of registration fees will be made to the withdrawing team.
Revised January, 2017